Friday, November 23, 2007

Cautionary Tale



There are these scientists who have created robot cockroaches and have been performing studies to see how these cockroaches make group decisions. Using these robots, the scientists have been able to get the cockroaches to do things that they otherwise would not do.




In my view, people aren't at all different. Just tell them that something is cool and you can lead them like lambs to the slaughter. Or cockroaches. Or robots. Or whatever. My English teacher says that I keep mixing metaphors. And shifting tenses. And writing sentence fragments. Personally, I think that the rules of language are just another BS device that constrains the full potential of our minds, rendering anyone who shakes off these limits alien to the world around them. Like the way the Dadaists destroyed language. But my teachers never listen to me, they just repeat, in their machine-like tones, that I just need to do what they say.




But where was I again? Oh yeah, don't be a robot. Or a sheep. Or a cockroach. You do whatever you want and screw the consequences! Life's too short to be someone's company man.

4 comments:

Mr. Bennet said...

I knew it would start with nano-insectechnology...or mustard. Mustard was my second guess.

Claire B said...

Ew! Roaches!

Heidi Petrelli said...

They also could be used for a remake of the film 'Twilight of the Cockroaches'(or ws it 'Twilight of the Roaches'?hmmm..

Adam Monroe said...

Cockroach technology...sounds good to me. The more you can control, the better, right?